sharba's blog

sharba's blog

a little of this... a little of that..... from a musical kind of gal.

Monday, January 05, 2004

Sunday, January 04, 2004


Slang.........this week's questions are all about slang.
1. Do you use any slang words on a regular basis?
At school I often say "you da man!" or "you da woman!" as encouragement or positive reinforcement.
2. Is there any one slang word that really bothers you when you hear others use it?
The age old "ain't" is probably one of my main "pet peeves." Many slang terms are "fads", but "ain't" is just ignorant-sounding to me. I also have a peeve that isn't slang so much as a grammar error. It's the ever increasing misuse of the word "at." More and more people are tacking it on to the ends of sentences: "Where are we at?" It it totally nonessential, and just wrong!!
3. Do you have a favorite slang word?
I have no favorite. I think we have gotten so far away from true "English" that lines are beginning to cross on slang and nonslang. Example: "yeah"
4. What are your thoughts on adding slang words to the dictionary? Slang is always marked as such, so I really don't have a problem with it.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home